Monday, January 19, 2009

over heard


Every day we walk up and down the streets, halls and other corridors, we hear laughter, sobs and just random rambling, chit chatter and whatever other kind of noise making people can come up with. It’s strange most of time these noises are heard across great distances and still come in clear or at the least statically. When looking around we can’t help but notice that everyone has one. the new age object that came a long way from bulky insane weird ugly to this sleek flip flopping hidden and virtually unseen beauty.
I asked some friends a questioned inspired by the article pencil, by Henry petroski what do you plan to take with you? they ran off a list of items: chap stick, lip gloss, gum, make up, body spray, wallets, cash, I realized like the in the article they hadn’t mentioned an object I know they couldn’t live without.
We over look and practically over use such a wonderful device... the cell phone.

-But there is one object that Thoreau had neglected to mention, one the he most certainly carried himself. For without this object Thoreau could have not sketched either the fleeting fauna he could not shoot or the larger flora he could not uproot..... (The pencil, Henry petroski)


the article continues to wonder about why thoreu would forget to mention an object he used so often and begins to search for reasoning..." perhaps the very object with which he may have been drafting his list was too close to him, too familiar a part of his everyday outfit, to common to mention...

I too personally use my cell so often on the daily that I forget it’s not a part of me, the article inspired me because it’s relative to my life in a sense that I have certain objects I couldn’t think of being without.