Saturday, January 31, 2009

the hometown idea


The picture is my home town street sign I took years ago.
I haven't yet found the place that I really find has the most intense meaning to me. School has been the one place I have attended that helped me understand and find what I want out of life. I step into a class room in know exactly why I'm there. I know what I need to do and why it’s going to benefit me. I think knowing what I get from a place is what makes it meaningful.

If I was asked this question when I was younger I would have said my home. My home was not just my house it was the entire neighborhood. I loved running around with friends playing and getting into trouble. Never really had to do much school and play, that was the life. My neighborhood meant a lot to me then. It was the place I felt safest, where I learned how to solve problems, developed leadership skills and just plain imaginative fun.
Imaginati0n this amazingly insane idea that only alters with time, as my innocence dissipated I started to see what my family thought of my home. I saw glorious and fascination adventures through a moonlight catacomb when they saw an intense gang ridden ghetto. I enjoyed the school after hours, but I wasn’t allowed to play after street lights.

The china town idea, by Eric liu describes a part of San Francisco, the culture the atmosphere and the traditions. As a little town they had their own way and ideas about how life should be and slowly that changed with the influence from surrounding areas, the government and the evolving society was cause to their modernization. For example "the china town idea holds that people who live there shouldn’t deviate one stroke from the ways of "old china" unless we tell them to. as a kid I felt I was right my neighborhood is the best ever, till practically drilled in me it was raunchy ruff and just bad, from different people and most effectively my mom, maybe it is a horrible place and slowly I noticed what they considered bad I began to disapprove of my wonderland. A new picture of uninspired unamused and lost feelings arose.