Saturday, February 21, 2009

diffrence through time








Now V.S. Back in the day

( high school)










Change is as change does, but a change in place or a change is color doesn't necessarily make a difference. In the chapter i read about differences and i couldn't help but think of myself and when i was in high school. i found some old pictures that reminded me of the mischief i got in. i realized also that i as a body i changed too. my poses and facial expressions were different. i figured it was me becoming an adult, but after reading "coming into the country" by Gish Jen, it dawned on me I'm not different physically so much as I'm different in my mind set.

Summing up the article i understand that the real meaning isn't just about leaving from a place to come in to America. its about the the dreams associated with the idea of "America." getting into college was a step taken towards something better. that better was open for interpretation, whether it meeting friends and partying my heart out or studying my butt off and getting on with life as i know it. - We newish Americans leapfrog from world to world reinventing ourselves en route... high school i didn't know who i really was , still today I'm wondering, but once grad day hit i was this college kid. Ive changed but to know Ive chaged i really needed to examine the differences. - Indeed nothing seems more typically American than to obsess about identity... high school was such a a whirl wind, i was surrounded by all this stimulation and i couldn't help but to become and submerge myself at least for awhile to actually understand and realize this wasn't who i am or wanted to be. now I'm this culinary student with other culinary students and not much variation. me now versus me back in the day are comparable but so different its wicked.